Need help to get VGA-to-TV working with Radeon 9250

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:38:18 PST 2006

On 1/27/06, Sebastian <sebastian_ml at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:58:35AM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> >
> > what port was the cable plugged into (vga or DVI)?  what about running
> > without a monitorlayout line?  The way the driver is structured,
> > having NONE as the first argument of monitorlayout will never work
> > because it forces the driver to assume there is no monitor on the
> > first crtc.  think of it more as crtcmap (with some hard coded
> > assumptions).  The first argument forces the output of the first crtc
> > (internal tmds, lvds, or a DAC), the second argument forces the output
> > of crtc2 (external tmds, or a DAC).  In reality either crtc can drive
> > any output, but like I said there are some hardcoded mappings in the
> > driver.  single head mode and the first head of dualhead mode always
> > use crtc1 so by forcing NONE on crtc1 you are effectively disabling
> > that crtc which makes no sense in a single head set up.   I hope this
> > isn't too confusing.
> >
> > As Felix said you may want to check and make sure you are getting any
> > output first using a vga monitor.  Try no monitorlayout optionor try
> > "CRT, CRT" and try the scart cable on both ports.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> Hi all,
>
> you guys are absolutely right, I think I got some kind of misconception
> of how X works. So my apologies especially to, Alex. I tried what you
> suggested in your last mail and it worked.
>
> That is I disconnected everything but the TV. The TV was switched on but
> I zapped to another channel so that I didn't have to see the garbage
> during the boot process.
> Then I blindly logged in and called the tv-out script. After the sound
> began to play I switched the TV to AV1 and that's it -- I got a picture
> (and a really nice one, too).
>
> So now I know that it works. But allthough the picture is great this I
> would like to be able to access my flat panel. I'm now trying to play
> with "CRT,CRT" and tricking the X server a little. :)
>
> If you got any ideas I'd appreciate to hear them.

you can definitely use both the DVI and the VGA port at the same time.
 you can either run as one big desktop (mergedfb or dualhead with
xinerama) or as two independant heads (:0.0 and :0.1) where only the
mouse moves between them or cloned with each crtc drving a head with
different timings. If you actually have a dvi monitor attached to the
DVI port, you'll need set the primary crtc to TMDS (digital output),
not CRT (analog DAC). so for clone or dualhead you'd need to have
monitorlayout set to "TMDS, CRT" this assumes you will be using both
heads at once.  If you try and use clone mode, it probably won't work
since your digital monitor will probably not like a weird interlaced
mode.  In that case you'll have to set up a mode the panel does like
and then set up metamodes (see radeon man page) to drive the panel and
tv cable with different timings.

Alex