[patch] XVideo on my Radeon

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Wed Jan 25 17:19:13 PST 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
>>   Monitor   -- CRT
>>   Connector -- DVI-D
>>   DAC Type  -- Primary
>>   TMDS Type -- Internal
>>   DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
>> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
>>   Monitor   -- CRT
>>   Connector -- VGA
>>   DAC Type  -- Primary
>>   TMDS Type -- NONE
>>   DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
>>
>> I'd bet that did look differently without that change, though it's not
>> my kettle of fish. Alex knows this stuff a lot better than I do, so
>> you'd better follow his advice :-).
>
> Heh, well, looks like the BIOS table is fairly bogus.... Unless the 2
> connectors do indeed carry the analog signals from the same DAC
> (possible, though stupid since it prevents using dual head). It's sad
> but OEMs seem to have no clue about populating those tables properly.
>
> Can you re-send me X logs both in the working and non-working cases ?
>
> The problem would be the setting of OverlayOnCRTC2. It should be routed
> to CRTC1 normally I would expect unless a dual setup is used. In fact,
> since doing "xvattr -a XV_SWITCHCRT -v 1" seems to work, that would
> indicate that his screen is taking his output from CRTC2 and not CRTC1
> which is a bit weird...
>
> Now looking at the log, it seems indeed that the driver decided to go
> for a dual head setup with MergedFB by itself. Does it work if you
> disable MergedFB in the config file ? (Option "MergedFB" "false")
>
> I think the problem may be that the code that parses the monitor table
> doesn't quite handle multiple connectors on the same output (same DAC in
> this case)... either that or the connector table is just broken...
IIRC, note that these cards don't even have two dacs (and there is no
notion of that in the driver code, only tvdac and primary dac), hence
the DVI-D connector. This is a special "feature" of the r200 chip, it
can drive two displays but only has one internal dac. Some cards with
that chip though feature an external dac, like the original ati cards
(though I believe there were also cards available with a dvi-i connector
but not carrying analog signals...), but especially 8500le and 9100
cards not always do. This may explain the weird looking table. I think
for tv-out those cards always used the rage theatre chip, thus they
could still use twin-view with crt + tv out.

Roland