Open GL Bugs in Xorg 7.

Evan Langlois Evan at CoolRunningConcepts.com
Sun Jan 22 19:55:07 PST 2006

Hello,

        I've found what appear to be 2 bugs.

        I built Xorg 7.0 according to the Gentoo docs (using a Gentoo
        system,
        Athlon CPU and ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP video card) on
        http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml

        The goal was to get Xgl running, according to the docs on
        http://www.hboeck.de/categories/11-Gentoo and I had the portage
        overlay
        from there installed.  For non-Gentoo people, this means all
        patches
        listed on that page including the use of Mesa from CVS.

        I'm using the "radeon" driver, not the frglrx (or whatever its
        called
        from ATI).  I prefer to stick with open-source drivers, and I
        have some
        hope of using this on non-x86 machines some day.  I'm using an
        r200
        based card so I don't have to use the binary drivers, and last I
        checked, the open-source drivers were faster than the binary
        ones
        anyway, at least on this card.

        Is the binary driver a requirement for running Xgl?  Or should
        the ATI
        r200 driver work?

        Bug #1:  Couldn't find r200_dri.so driver for openGL, and this
        seems to
        be due to some path problem with libGL.so.  It's looking
        in /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so instead
        of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r200_dri.so.  There actually was
        a /usr/lib/modules/dri with an old binary ATI driver in it,
        likely from
        earlier testing.  I removed it and made it a symlink
        to /usr/lib/xorg/modules and now, glxinfo loads it and says I
        have
        direct rendering.

        Bug #2:  SIGSEGV running glxgears.  Here's the backtrace ...
        [Switching to Thread -1213098320 (LWP 7642)]
        0xb79a5962 in _mesa_update_lighting ()
        from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        (gdb) bt
        #0  0xb79a5962 in _mesa_update_lighting ()
           from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        #1  0x3f800000 in ?? ()
        #2  0x0805e904 in ?? ()
        #3  0xb79a4c36 in _mesa_update_material ()
           from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        #4  0xb79a58d2 in _mesa_update_lighting ()
           from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        #5  0x00184443 in ?? ()
        #6  0xb79b4581 in _mesa_update_state ()
        from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        #7  0x0805e2c8 in ?? ()
        #8  0x00004100 in ?? ()
        #9  0x0804c008 in ?? ()
        #10 0xb7a5a17e in _mesa_Clear ()
        from /usr/lib//modules/dri/r200_dri.so
        #11 0x00000000 in ?? ()

        Because of Bug #2, I've stopped here and don't think there is a
        hope of
        getting Xgl running until I can figure out why I'm getting
        crashes.

        Thanks,
        Evan