Radeon Xpress 200G Memory size

Fri Jan 20 09:15:43 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 12:09 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a question, what are the relations between the different ways of
> > checking how much memory is used for the integrated graphics chip in the
> > Radeon Xpress 200 ? I tired lspci (the size of the largest PCI region,
> > xorg.logs (the size int10 reports as is found in the Xorg.log file),
> > grub (the memory grub reports at the boot screen) and windows XP64 (the
> > size the XP device manager reports) to check how much memory is used.
> > When i select 16M, 32M, 64M or 128M in the BIOS for the UMA size i get
> > the following values.
> >
> > BIOS    lspci   xorg    xp64    grub
> > 16M     64M     3072k   16M     632k/2078656k
> > 32M     64M     7168k   128M    632k/2062272k
> > 64M     128M    15360k  128M    632k/2029504k
> > 128M    256M    31744k  256M    632k/1963968k
> >
> > These values just look weird to me, is there a explanation on why they
> > look like that ?
>
> Xpress chips need to be treated like IGP chips (the info->isIGP flag
> must be set in the driver) so ram detect is currently wrong in the
> xorg driver (this should be fixed by daniels latest commit in xorg
> cvs).

That would than explain the memory size xorg finds, but the lspci output
still looks weird, why does it need a region that is bigger than what is
setup in the BIOS, and why is it so "random". Shouldn't the BIOS setup
the PCI ranges, if so , why are they different on lspci and XP ? This
all just looks really weird to me.

- Erwin