Does anyone disagree that 5327 is a bug which needs to be fixed?

Dimitar Toshev mo6eeeb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 13:38:01 PST 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 18:57, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 15:58, Ely Levy wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> > > However, we'll have to keep button events for a long time in order not
> > > to break 'older' (that is: current) applications.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > > Sure. 4/5 is standard for wheel 1 (y axis), 6/7 for wheel 2 (x axis).
> >
> > standard?!!?
> > How is it a standard?
>
>  That's how it's a (de facto) standard. Just run xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2
> 3 6 7 4 5" and watch your Qt/KDE apps, Gtk/GNOME apps and who knows what
> apps suddenly scroll horizontally instead of vertically.

Hmm... While it seems that 4/5 button events get interpreted as vertical
scrolling, 6/7 button events, do not get interpreted as horizontal scrolling
in all apps. While in kmail, they work as you describe, in firefox, they are
used for forward/back navigation. This really seems odd. Why not add the
zaxis event to XInput and keep the old button mapping for a while, so that
apps have time to upgrade? Or just add a "ZAxisButtons" option to the mouse
config, that triggers the old behaiviour, instead of the new one.