glxcompgr without Xgl ?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Jan 19 06:30:20 PST 2006

On Jan 17, 06 18:20:03 +0100, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> I will wait. In the mean time, are you aware of any other
> composite manager that uses OpenGL and maybe faster
> than "xcompmgr" in rendering transparent windows?

No. Because for decent speed you don't want to have the window contents
traveling back and forth to the Xserver for the compose operation -
which is necessary if you don't have indirect OpenGL rendering, and also
no address space sharing (which isn't even defined as extension yet, let
alone been implemented).

You can have decent compositing speed with xcompmgr, if the Xserver
allows for accelerated Composite and Render extensions.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de