DPMS/Radeon - screen keeps switching back on

Kevin Shanahan kmshanah at disenchant.net
Wed Jan 18 22:18:34 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:16:39AM +1030, Kevin Shanahan wrote:
> Ok, here's what I tried with xev:
>  - open up two xterms
>  - in xterm 1, sleep 10 && xset dpms force off
>  - in xterm 2, xev
>  - move the mouse over the xev window to focus it; I get a bunch of
>    MotionNotify events as expected
>  - I press the space bar to mark my place (KeyPress, KeyRelease)
>  - A few seconds later sleep completes and the screen goes off
>  - A few more seconds and the screen comes back on again
>
> There's nothing in the xev output after my spacebar KeyPress,
> KeyRelease events. Are there any other type events that would cause
> the screen to come back on?

Okay, here's something else I've noticed - xscreensaver does blank the
screen and turn off the screen, although the backlight comes back on
again shortly after just as it was for my manual 'xset dpms force
off'. However, the screen does stay blank and the desktop doesn't
reappear until I really do move the mouse or press a key. So, I'm
becoming convinced that it's not an input event causing this to
happen.

What about other ACPI events like lid open/close? Is there any way to
monitor those while X is running?