xf86-input-vmmouse doesn't build

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Jan 16 23:50:43 PST 2006

Philip Langdale wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>

>> | http://intr.overt.org/vmmouse/xf86-input-vmmouse-12.3.0.0.tar.bz2
>>
>> Great! Perhaps for the benefit of packagers, we could also get a copy in
>> a more standard location, such as
>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/?
>

> The impression I got was that packagers were not going to pick up
> piece-meal changes and instead wait for the next full xorg release.

I don't think that a single impression can be made, as there are an
extremely large number of distributions which are using X.Org X11
currently, including numerous Linux and BSD based distros.  Each
distribution is likely to do their own thing to a large degree,
which in turn is likely to vary widely.

Having said that, Fedora Core packaging will be based upon an official
X.Org X11 release, however the packages will be updated to newer
individual releases of the individual components on a package by
package basis.  We will not necessarily track each new release of
every individual tarball in Fedora Core, however we will likely
update the individual packages whenever a new version of them is
released which fixes a major bug, or has some other compelling
reason to make the effort of updating a package to a new upstream
version "worthwhile".

A large part of the entire reason that modular X even exists in the
first place, and got so much concentrated effort from all parties
involved, was the ability to release individual package updates.

To now say that nobody is going to capitalize on the large amount
of effort that went into making this all possible, seems very off
the mark.

I would wager the exact opposite personally - that most distributions
will track the individual tarball releases of each X.Org X11 component
using their own particular update rationale criterion.

> The directores in that location are all empty, so I can't say
> whether they reflect any current intentions.

It stands to reason that any individual package directories will
remain empty, until X.Org developers or individual package maintainers
have had a good reason to bump the version number of an individual
component, and release a new tarball.  I watch CVS commits fairly
closely, and I haven't seen many commits occur since X11R7 was
released.

In the natural course of due time, we are very likely to see individual
components updated and released on their own version schedules and
timelines.  I would wager that the X server is a likely candidate to
be updated, or the ati driver, as those tend to have a fair amount of
churn.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.