Xorg 6.9.0 - Build errors on a Slackware 10.2

Klaus Dittrich kladit at arcor.de
Mon Jan 16 02:59:59 PST 2006

Stefano Papini wrote:
> Hi all,
> as the Xorg 6.8.2 available from Slackware 10.2
> patches seems not supporting DRI for my Intel
> 852GM/855GM (on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo V2020), I just
> downloaded and tried to build Xorg 6.9.0, following
> what described for 6.8.2 on:
>
> www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/x/installing.html
>

> After editing files (created/edited host.def, edited
> xorg.cf, xfree86.cf) in order to build only the
> drivers I need (e.g. no mga, no apm, no nv, etc...), I
> run make World > World.log 2>&1 and got some build
> errors.
>
> First was in a section related to SUN....???!! Perhaps
> ffb_dac.h (by memory), the Bool type seems not
> recognized (I changed to unsigned int). But I can't
> understand why this driver is being build (perhaps is
> it part of DRIDevelepomentDriver???).
>
> Then I had problems in including fontconfig.h (I added
> the extended path in the .h files including it), but
> again something isn't working fine. BTW: when getting
> such an error I run bot make clean and "make World ...
> " again, not simply "make".
>
> Last, the loader can't find -lfontconfig...
>
> When examining the beginning of the World.log file,
> neither the #define LinuxDistribution seems getting
> correct values (I used #define LinuxDistribution
> linuxSlackware). May you give me some idea? This is my
> first build of Xorg/XFree, but I'm using linux for
> around nine years (and build my kernels regularly).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stefano

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

For a short help here an excerpt of how I do it ..

cat <<-EOF
    #define XF86CardDrivers     mga vesa vga XF86OSCardDrivers
XF86ExtraCardDrivers
    #define MakeDllModules      NO
    #define UseMatroxHal        YES
    #define XInputDrivers       mouse keyboard
    #define DefaultGcc2i386Opt  -O2 -march=pentium4 -fno-strength-reduce
GccAliasingArgs
    #define HasLibpng YES
    #define HasFreetype2 YES
    #define HasFreetype2 YES
    #define Freetype2LibDir /usr/local/lib/freetype2
    #define Freetype2IncDir /usr/local/include/freetype2
    #define HasExpat YES
    #define ExpatLibDir  /usr/local/lib/libexpat
    #define ExpatIncDir  /usr/local/include/libexpat
    #define HasFontconfig YES
    #define FontconfigBinDir /usr/local/bin
    #define FontconfigLibDir /usr/local/lib/fontconfig
    #define FontconfigIncDir /usr/local/include/fontconfig
    #define BuildIPv6 NO
    #define BuildFonts YES
    #define BuildXterm YES
    #define Build YES

EOF
) >> $cfgdir/host.def

With some additional manual efforts you will get it compiled and installed.
If it will run is antother question. It does not with a G550 and the mga
driver.
The last version that workend here was X11R6-x.org-6.8.99.10.