Radeon mem map fix (#2): Need regression tests please

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Fri Jan 13 07:10:54 PST 2006

Andreas Haumer wrote:
> Yes. All crashes occur at more or less the same place (see attached
> file xorg.ksymoops) It might be some problem with devfs which we use
> here. I seem to remember some mails on this list stating that DRI is
> not really supported on 2.4 kernels anymore. For the time being I can
>  live with that. If anyone wants me to try some patches I can do
> that, though.
It is not supported any more in the sense that it won't get updated but
afaik it is still supposed to run.
Last I tried it there (which is a long time ago...) at least it worked.
Never used devfs with 2.4 though. The oops indeed looks pretty "generic".

> This is strange. YMMV, of course, but for me X is quite useable on
> all hardware we have here even without DRI (we usually only do
> software development, system administration and typical office tasks
>  here at work, no 3D ego shooters, though ;-)
Maybe it doesn't disturb you when you've never used it with drm before,
but the mmio accel just visibly causes more artifacts when doing things
like moving windows around :-).

I've tried the patch with my radeon 9000pro, and it does not work there
neither. Issues are pretty similar, moving (3d) windows around leaves
artifacts (and eventually even a gpu lockup), xawtv overlay still
doesn't work, but on this setup I got the mouse pointer back at least.

Roland