Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 12 17:41:05 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:08 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:

> Keith Packard wrote On 01/10/06 17:13,:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 08:30 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
> >
> > There's no tremendous hurry here; we can't usefully use Mesa/DRI for a
> > Compositing manager until Mesa/DRI can paint to the off-screen buffers
> > holding the redirected content.
>
> What do you mean by "compositing manager?"

The problem is that unless GL windows can be included in the composited
output, it's really hard to create a product that depends on Composite
as a wide swath of applications will simply fail to work. That's
reasonably understandable in a research or prototype environment, but
it's pretty hard on real customers to say that you can run everything
except 3D applications in your 3D desktop environment.

Until everything works reasonably well, it's still just beta software.

-keith