Lockup on X server start with Radeon on X.org 6.9

Kevin Shanahan kmshanah at disenchant.net
Thu Jan 12 14:00:54 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:04:19PM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> I still have lockups too, they seem to be less with 16bit colors
> (compared to 24bit colors).

Ah, I always use 16bit since my Radeon has only 8MB and I want to keep
some memory for OpenGL textures.

> I have a patch from Benjamin which atleast makes it possible to kind
> of use X, without it it hangs within a minute after login, now i see
> hangs about 5 times a day.

I usually can't get the login screen (gdm) to come up at all unless I
disable DRI. Sometimes it will work with DRI, and if I get that far it
seems to run stable all day.

> The 6.8.x version never had this problem and had uptimes of weeks :-/

Yeah, me too.

> The only way i could make the hangs go away was to disable
> acceleration completely, but that makes X so slow it is unusable :-(

Have you tried leaving accel enabled but not loading the dri module?

Cheers,
Kevin.