Suggested Xprint DDX reorg

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jan 9 07:33:36 PST 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 05:30, Felix Schulte wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Egbert Eich <eich at suse.de> wrote:
> > Julien Lafon writes:
> >  > It does not sound not logical to me - Xprint DDX is no physical
> >  > hardware so why should it be tagged as such?
> >
> > Neither is vfb or nest.
> > 'hw' is really the wrong name here. It's historical.
> > Better would be 'ddx'.

Alternatively:  Yes, it is, Xprint talks to printer hardware.

> I do not want the Xprint files moved except hw/ gets renamed to ddx/
> first (I wish this hw/ --> ddx/ rename would have been done during
> monolithic-->modular transition as the issue seems to be known since
> some time... :-().

DDX is a misnomer too really, most of the DDXes have OS-interface bits that
aren't device-dependent but rather platform-dependent, and core logic glue
that's more or less common to all the DDXes.

But this is missing the point.  Regardless of what the directory is named,
we're building N-1 servers under hw/ and 1 server under Xprint.  The hw/
directory contains all of the code that is specific to given classes of
output devices, _except_ the Xprint code.

In other words, moving Xprint to hw/Xprint fixes layout; moving hw/ to ddx/
substitutes one bad name for another.

- ajax