List of topmost window issues

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jan 7 10:55:11 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 12:16 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> BTW someone wrote topmost windows would be on top of everything except
> the screensaver.

This 'screensaver' is the internal non-blanking one, which is also
exposed by the screen saver extension. As most people either run
xscreensaver (which doesn't use the screen saver extension), or use a
blanking screen saver, this window actually has no effect.

>  That's not true - when the screen is used for a video
> feed you absolutely do not want the screensaver to preempt it (currently
> video players do ugly semi-functional hacks to try to disable the
> screensaver)

We should fix that instead; I can easily imagine having per-client
screen saver enable/disable and having the screen saver respect the
union of per-client requests. This way when the media app died, the
screen saver would automatically be re-enabled.

Should be a fairly simple addition through XFixes.

-keith