Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jan 7 10:51:09 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 12:20 +0100, Amir Bukhari wrote:

> That may solve the cliping issue, but what about event processing. Normal
> window (bellow topmost window) will never receive input events.

Oh, that's already a separate issue -- we have an external mechanism to
remap how global mouse position is translated to a window-relative
position. We need this as any window transformation changes the mapping
in a fashion unknown to the X server.

> For reason (as I think) we reparent all windows (also redirected like menus
> ...) to one Pseudo root window (PRW),

We can't reparent OverrideRedirect windows, so we'd have to use
something like the PseudoRoot extension that I developed years ago so
that non-CompositeManager applications would see this new window as the
'real' root and create their override redirect windows within that.

That's certainly possible, but prevents us from launching a compositing
manager to handle existing applications.

-keith