video playback on ATI Rage 3D Pro

Jaymz Julian jaymz at artificial-stupidity.net
Fri Jan 6 22:24:10 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:14:11PM +0100, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:09:56 -0500
> Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Samstag, den 17.12.2005, 19:20 +0100 schrieb Dexter Filmore:
> > > Hm, I just tried xine with Xshm for fun. *That* looks proper, but eats CPU
> > > cycles like popcorn. So I guess I'll have to upgrade the card.
> >
> > Xshm means scaling in software. The only difference to standard X11 is
> > that it communicates with the server through shared memory, which
> > reduces memory copying overhead. What you really want is Xv.
>
> I know - but Xv looks horrible, and I can't figure why.

Play with your brightness/contrast settings - the defaults on many mach64s are
terrible.... I actually got output that was very close to the Xshm output by
setting brightness to 0(!) and contrast to 50%.  ymmv.

	-- jj

Jaymz Julian - Coder, Visionary, Fat Ass.
"Hannibal is a serial killer. He only likes to kill and eat people.
 Very few people have `I want to be killed and eaten' on their cards,
 so Hannibal is out of a job." - http://cards.sf.net