Xgl and direct rendering

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Tue Feb 28 10:41:28 PST 2006

Ian Romanick wrote:

> Matthias Hopf wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 06 18:53:55 +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>>
>>> on rv250 apparently, however, it should be possible to fix them up with
>>> a quite simple "fragment program" as at least the component ordering
>>> seems to be correct).
>> This is a no-go. I don't want to see any complicated code that fixes
>> issues for a *single* card.
>
> In general I agree with that sentiment.  However, I believe this applies
> to all Radeon 9000 and M9 cards.  There are a *ton* of laptops from
> various manufacturers with those chips.  Folks with laptops don't have
> the luxury of just getting a different card.
In any case, the right place to fix this would probably be in the dri
driver, so it can simply announce support for yuv textures. Might lead
to raster fallbacks if you try "complicated" texture environments with
yuv textures, or suboptimal perforamance (for "static" textures, it sure
would be better to just convet them upfront to rgb) but I don't think
outside of video anyone actually wants to use yuv textures...

Roland