Xgl and direct rendering

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Feb 28 10:23:45 PST 2006

On Feb 27, 06 15:18:34 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> It may be that the only interesting case is full-screen video, which
> is the easiest case to design, since the compositing manager basically
> just has to get out of the way.

It definitively isn't.

> This "get-out-of-the-way-I'm-going-fullscreen" protocol is also needed
> for fullscreen 3D games with direct rendering.

This shouldn't be much of a problem, the composition manager should know
when a single nontransparent window is shown fullscreen.

[...]
> With Xegl it gets even harder ... you'd need a GL extension with similar
> capabilities to Xvideo or something like that.

Talked with many vendors and programmes, and all agreed that using pixel
shaders is the way to go. Eventually, native support for YUV textures
might go away in the future as well.

CU

Matthias

--