AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sat Feb 25 07:29:40 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:13:40AM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> Also, Xgl allows me to use my gpu to offload a large part of X's cpu load
> (well, in theory anyways). In a way, X, and any other drawing api that
> doesn't use the gpu to do everything, is uselessly wasting both cpu time and
> wasting the idlying gpu hardware.

You're inferring a relation that doesn't exist.  It's not as if we don't
have acceleration now, and Xgl is not a magic bullet that will fix all
our current acceleration issues (hideously incomplete drivers, chipsets
we simply can't support, some operations that cannot be sensibly
accelerated -- XGL or no, memory management).