when to update modular component version?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Feb 25 10:00:08 PST 2006

What are the guidelines for updating the version number in the AC_INIT
macro (configure.ac) for modular X.org components?

(I asked about this before, but did not receive a response.)

I assume it should be increased for any feature change or bug fix.

Although I have made changes, and I have seen other's changes without this
being done.

We probably should have some rules and documentation about this -- plus
also covering versioning for shared libraries and packages that do not
provide shared libraries.

And for components that do not have maintainers ... who chooses or when do
we decide to release a new version?

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/