AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Feb 24 08:46:03 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 14:40 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:11 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
>
> >  An important reason to why
> > I favor compiz over metacity is that it works with other desktop
> > environments than gnome. I definitely don't want all these effects that
> > people are starting to write to only be usable on one desktop.
>
> What is the problem with using metacity in other desktop environments ?

I'm mostly concerned about widget themes and configuration. e.g. you
want the colors of window decorations to match the widget theme, you
don't want the window menu or tooltips to use gtk if you're running kde.
XSETTINGS can solve some of these things but it's easier and much more
flexible to have toolkit specific code in the window/compositing manager
for perfect desktop environment integration.