AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:49:11 PST 2006

On 2/23/06, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:

> I've been getting a lot of mail from people asking me about my thoughts
> on AIGLX, the GL compositing work being done on metacity and nvidia's
> xdevconf paper. Instead of replying to everyone individually, I though
> I'd send a mail to the Xorg list.

<snip>

> I've been developing Xgl in the open since November 2004. Only the last
> few months have been behind closed doors. I can agree that this wasn't
> the best thing but no architectural changes have been made during this
> period, just a lot of hard work implementing missing functionality,
> tracking down and fixing bugs in xgl and various other places in the x
> server tree. We didn't drop a finished solution, we dropped a much
> improved version, that's all.
>
> At the time the decision was made to stop push things into CVS for a
> while, no one except me was really contributing to the project and the
> testing and bug reports we got from the community didn't give us much.
> If we had to make architectural changes or if the interest in
> contributing to the project got bigger, the idea was always to open
> development again.
>
> -David
>

> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx
> [2] http://developer.nvidia.com/object/xdevconf_2006_presentations.html

I would like to know what advantages Xgl or AIGLX will have other than the
eye candy.  Will it be possible to develop an application that will use
openGL and then be able to run the application remotely, as is currently
possible with gnome applications?

Say if I were to develop a medical imaging application that allowed the user
to traverse a human skull, would I be able to run this program remotely
using Xgl, and only send GL commands using XML over the network?  Is XGL
related to the XGL File Format Specification <http://www.xglspec.org/> ?

There has to be more to these next gen desktop technologies than eye candy.

Benji