Redirected XV (proposed API change)

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Wed Feb 22 15:30:30 PST 2006

Aaron Plattner wrote:
> Since we're changing the ABI/API for 7.1, I figured now is a good time to add
> redirected XV support to the DDX.  The proposed patch is here:
>
>   http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/xv-redirection-1.patch
>
> The change adds a DrawablePtr parameter to the XV driver hooks responsible for XV
> rendering.  Since this is an API change, I want to get feedback from this list
> before checking it in.  What do you guys think?
>
> A simple proof-of-concept implementation for the nv driver is here:
>
>    http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/nv-xv-redirection-1.patch
>
> It only works for windows with backing pixmaps in VRAM.

May I ask what purpose this change serves? Could you use this to use the
hw scaler with Xgl (i.e. without needing a fragment program and/or yuv
texture extension), by rendering the overlay to offscreen area and using
that as a texture?
Note though that not all hardware will allow this, if you want to use
the hw overlay (radeons won't, for instance, haven't looked at other
drivers), of course you can always use a sw fallback.

Roland