Installing Xorg

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Feb 22 10:35:17 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 12:02, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Felix Kühling wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Even though i have not been whining, I find the modular build process
> > rather painful. You may have noticed that the number of active
> > developers is rather small too. FWIW, whenever I tried the modular build
> > it was broken and needed a fix somewhere. What I'm waiting for is for
> > the modular Xorg to hit major distributions so that people can build
> > individual modules without building everything else. Until that time
> > modular Xorg is just a PITA for anyone willing to help with Xorg
> > development with limited time at their hands.
> > </rant>

It's in Fedora Core 5, and I've been beating on the installer guys getting all
the -devel packages into the "X development" package set.

> I second that.  I'd also like to add that, even with distcc and three
> systems, the modular build takes at least an order of magnitude longer
> to complete than the monolith.

For a world build this seems to be true, fortunately those are rather rare for
me now.  But there does seem to be something astonishingly stupid happening
during the autogen.sh phase that's taking far longer in Xorg than in other
autotooled projects; I'm looking into it.

- ajax