pkg-config and libX11.so: undefined reference to `XdmcpWrap'

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Feb 22 10:29:33 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:17:01AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >>Um, it looks in the standard location after looking in PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
> >>again according to the man page. So I'm not really understanding your
> >>problem.
> >
> >The problem is that a user trying the build.sh and also has incompatible
> >versions of X.org components with *pc files in standard location may have
> >unexpected build errors. The problem is that the ModularDevelopersGuide
> >instructions do not document this. And the problem is that the build.sh
> >doesn't define it automatically. (I haven't looked too close at the
> >build.sh yet, but I will look to simply set it in it and see what
> >happens.)
>
> Why should pkg-config be used at all?

Replacements in diff form are welcome.

> Doesn't pkg-config only give flags for locations on the system where stuff
> is installed?

Yes.

> Wouldn't it be better to have all the libraries used, derived from the Xorg
> build
> itself, independant of getting random variations injected from unknown
> things on
> the host system?

The idea of a modular system is that there is no 'the Xorg build
itself'.  When you build modules, they need to find one another.
pkg-config replaces the whole 'maybe they're in /usr, maybe they're in
/usr/include, who knows where they are' game you have to play.