pkg-config and libX11.so: undefined reference to `XdmcpWrap'

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Feb 21 21:41:57 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> Doesn't it always look in ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig, where prefix is the
> location in which it's installed? That's what the man page says, and
> that's expected behavior.

Yes, I understand it is expected. That is my problem. I forgot I had
pkg-config files for X.org packages in that directory. So when I used the
build.sh tool, I never noticed that it was using my old, incompatible
libraries/headers ... until the build failed due to missing support.

Removing the pkgconfig files doesn't seem like the best choice since that
may cause problems with other uses of the system. Changing the pkg-config
path environment variable also is not a good choice since I want it to
see my freetype2.pc for example.

It seems like the build.sh framework should be smart enough to use the
pkg-config files that it just installed (instead of my old incompatible
versions). Maybe something should set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the
build.sh's $prefix/lib/pkgconfig when checking for modular X.org
components (as previously installed via same run of the build.sh).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 Open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/