i810 + Dell 2405W @ 1920x1200

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Tue Feb 21 01:34:01 PST 2006

Torkil Svensgaard wrote:

> With the help of a utility called 915resolution and a custom modeline, xorg
> accepts the mode and the logs shows no problem but I just get a blank screen
> and the onscreen status readout states the screen is in powersave mode.
>
> Running Debian on kernel 2.6.15 and X Window System Version 6.9.0.

Don't know if I can help. I've got the same monitor connected to a
i915GMS, and had a hard time to get it to work. I'm also still using
Xorg 6.8 and had to use the patched 6.8 (!) driver at

http://www.fairlite.demon.co.uk/intel.html

It is important that you get 60 Hz as closely as possible (the monitors
spec asks for exactly 60 Hz; I observed that the monitor syncs approx.
from 55 to 65 Hz).

On my machine (Dell Latitude X1) the modeline is not the only variable,
as the signal also depends on the mode you override with 915resolution
(that behaviour may very well be dependant on the BIOS).

In my case, I used the following modeline:

Modeline "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235
+HSync -VSync

And I've overridden mode 800x600 with this option in the device section:

Option          "ForceBIOS" "800x600=1920x1200"

(this is an alternative syntax of the patched driver, you can also use
915resolution if you want)

Overall, this situation is very unsatisfying. I so much hope the vendors
get their *ss*s up and correct their BIOS implementations.

Regards,

Andreas