Run with occassionally connected keyboard?

MagicITX magicitx at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:11:03 PST 2006

I have an xorg-x11 7.0 system that sometimes has a keyboard and
sometimes not.  I'm using the evdev keyboard driver on
/dev/input/event0.  (The 'keyboard' and 'kbd' drivers don't work.)
The problem is if the keyboard isn't present, the kernel doesn't
create /dev/input/event0.  Thus the evdev driver doesn't load and xorg
won't start.

I'm familiar with the "void" input device driver so I can run xorg
without a keyboard.  The problem is sometimes I have a keyboad.  I
don't want to have to change the configuration file each time.

I guess I'd really like an "AllowKeyboardOpenFail" option like
"AllowMouseOpenFail" for the server section in xorg.conf.

Is there anything I can do with xorg or evdev to make this work?  If
not is there any way I can fake /dev/input/event0 when there is no
keyboard?  (I tried ln -s /dev/null /dev/input/event0 but the ioctrl
was smart enough not to accept it.)

Any help appreciated.

--

Tim