Initial version of PCI access library

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Feb 20 11:00:10 PST 2006

On Monday, February 20, 2006 10:53 am, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Hmm...the legacy I/O & memory access support currently in X is
> outside the PCI support, so I left it out.  I'd like to keep this as
> a generic PCI access library, so I'm inclined to keep it out.  I
> don't see any reason why it couldn't be put in a different layer.  Do
> many drivers still rely on legacy access?

Some do, and vgahw definitely does, but keeping it separate is fine with
me (though similar architectural abstraction will be necessary so I
thought it might logically belong with the PCI stuff).

> Yeah.  I had some trouble figuring out how to read the ROMs at first,
> but a little googling turned up a discussion on lkml.

I even updated the documentation for you last time you mentioned it.
Linus' tree should have an updated
Documentation/filesystems/sysfs-pci.txt that describes this stuff.

Jesse