no x

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Feb 19 11:15:04 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:54:19AM -0800, Stuart Kreitman wrote:
> perhaps an error in the install/upgrade to 6.9.
> a thorough uninstall/reinstall of the packages might help.
> How thorougly do the Debian folks test their upgrade scripts?

We do not have upgrade scripts.  The package management is solid: if
xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-5 is installed, then xserver-xorg
6.9.0.dfsg.1-5 is installed.  There's no halfway.

If a maintainer script fails, or there's file conflicts between
packages, or whatever, then apt/dpkg quite pointedly halt at that point
and make it quite obvious that you need fixing.

> as far as the other missing symbols &etc:  good info for the package's own
> maintainer, but not too usefull for mere mortals.

Yes.  The log needs cleanup, news at 11 ...