Horizontal alignment problem with Samsung SyncMaster 193P and Fedora Core 4

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sat Feb 18 03:34:57 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 06:01:18PM -0500, Douglas Hoen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 193P display with a Fedora Core 4
> distribution (X Window System Version 6.8.2). The display does not have
> hardware adjustment controls but instead has a piece of MS Windows-only
> software.
>
> Initially, the horizontal alignment of the desktop image was shifted to the
> left, so that some of the left side of the image could not be seen and there
> was a space of unused screen about 9 mm wide between the right side of the
> image and the screen edge. I tried to fix this by changing the horizontal
> sync settings in my xorg.conf file from the original setting of "30.0 -
> 81.0". After playing for a while with different values, I found that using
> "12.0 - 63.0" displays the full image but leaves unused screen space on both
> sides (~ 3 mm on the left and 7 mm on the right). If I set the range to
> "11.0 - 62.0", the image shift to the right leaving about 4 mm of unused
> screen on the left and cuts off about 4 mm of image on the right. I could
> find no settings that used the entire screen. Adjusting the display size
> setting seemed to make no difference. I have attached the log file.
>
> On a related problem, I can't increase the screen size to what I would like.
> I am dual-booting XP and my hardware configuration works fine up to
> 1280x1024, 24 bit colour, filling the entire screen. However, no setting for
> this large of a screen is available in my Fedora configuration tool. It
> looks to me like some explaination for this is given in the attached log,
> but don't know how to interpret or solve the problem.
>
> I would hate to have my MS Windows desktop looking nicer than Linux, so I
> would very much appreciate any help that might be offered.
>
> Thanks!
> -- Doug

It will be quite a while before DDC/CI will be directly supported. But
then, X is like the wild west when it comes to mode level configuration.
We only just started working on decent use of basic EDID information.

This is very interesting stuff though, and the only main problem is the
lack of a general attribute like system for X. Doing this on a per
driver basis, like twini's excellent sisctrl, is not that hard.

One option is to try to use this tool:
http://jaffar.cs.msu.su/oleg/ddcci/
But this doesn't support i2c busses known only to X drivers.

Failing that, if you have a driver capable of this, you should try
playing with the modeline to shift the image from one end to the other.

Luc Verhaegen.