Xgl segfault in xglglxext.c:2523

Christian Glodt chris at mind.lu
Thu Feb 16 08:54:37 PST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 14:42 -0800, Philip Langdale wrote:
> Christian Glodt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've encountered a segfault in Xgl:

<snip>

> What's happened is that Xgl is running against the mesa libGL.so instead
> of nvidia's one. This causes it to use indirect rendering which is
> unfortunately buggy.
>
> This often happens because people usually install to some special prefix
> and they put Xgl, compiz and the mesa libGL under that prefix. The right
> thing to do is install Xgl to your primary X prefix (which only really
> works if you have Xorg 7 installed already) which will ensure it uses
> the nvidia libGL.

indeed, that seems to have been the problem. My startup scripts did set
the correct environment for compiz, but that environment was lost when
I tried to start my session via "/etc/gdm/Xsession default".

By starting gnome-session directly I get a correctly set up environment.
glxinfo still shows direct rendering to be disabled, but everything
seems to work anyway. I've also tried the matrixview screensaver again
and had no more segfault.

Thanks,

Christian Glodt