Xgl and direct rendering

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Wed Feb 15 04:03:12 PST 2006

On Mit, 2006-02-15 at 12:50 +0200, Marcin 'Morgoth' Kurek wrote:
> Then I wonder can anyone explain to me why Xgl is so terrible slow here ? I
> know this software is experimental still, but I am just curious.
>
> Is 1GHz G4 CPU with 1G of ram and Radeon 9000 is too slow to handle it ?

Have you applied the r200 copy-pixels patch[1] to your mesa
installation?

With that patch my Radeon 9000 can handle Xgl/Compiz pretty much ok.
With large windows on a resolution larger than 1024x768 it gets a bit
slow, though. Video playback is unusable slow and OpenGL doesn't work
but that's expected, as far as I know, as long as mesa/r200 doesn't
support pbuffers.

Jürg

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-January/011922.html

--