[Mesa3d-dev] GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Feb 6 10:18:48 PST 2006

David Reveman wrote:
> Hey,
>
> here's the latest version of the texture from pixmap spec that Xgl will
> be supporting. It's not fully implemented in Xgl yet, just so much of it
> that you can get an indirect rendering compositing manager running using
> it.
>
> I've also attached a temporary glxproto.h patch and my latest patches to
> Mesa for client-side support. They should work with current CVS of Mesa.

Hi David,

I've been meaning to take a closer look at this extension for a long
time, and probably roll it into Mesa CVS.

A few questions:

1. Normally the "EXT" designation is used for extensions that have
been implemented by at least two OpenGL vendors.  What do you think of
making it a "MESA" extension?

2. Do you characterize the extension as being a short-term/stop-gap
solution until EGL-based drivers are available?  If it gets
incorporated into Mesa CVS I worry people might get a little too
attached to it and divert attention way from the longer-term EGL
solution.  I may just be over-cautious.

I'll try to read the whole spec soon and comment on it.

-Brian