Twin DVI panel + videoprojector stuff

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Feb 2 15:29:36 PST 2006

Hi,

I have a twin DVI X700 card.
The primary DVI output is connected to a 20.1W LCD (19/10, 1680x1050 at 60)
The secondary DVI is connected to a 4/3 1024x768 at 85 DLP videoprojector
via a DVI switch

Needless to say this setup is not intended for use in xinerama mode, but
for cloning the LCD to the videoprojector now and then (I got it to work
fairly easily under windows just to check the hardware and cabling is ok)

Is it possible to configure xorg 7.0 so :

1. the secondary DVI is not deactivated on Xorg startup if the
switch/projector is not on ?

2. the LCD contents are cloned to the projector each time its screen
resolution is lowered by xrandr to something the projector can process ?

3. additionnaly, since the LCD is 19/10 and the projector is 4/3, would
it be possible to preserve ratio on the LCD when it's in low-res mode
(ie have the 1024x768 LCD mode include black bands and while the
1024x768 videoprojector is normal 4/3)

This does not seem to taxing from a processing point of view, but I fear
  the configuration part may be tricky. It's certainly not something usual.

(however I suppose widescreen laptop users will all have the same
problem when connecting to a 4/3 projector)

I've tested the card before adding a widescreen LCD and dvi switch to
the mix (used to be 4/3 CRT + directly attached projector) so I know
it's supported by the current radeon driver.

Any help from xorg.conf gurus would be welcome.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot