ms intellimouse not working right

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Feb 2 04:18:51 PST 2006

On Feb 01, 06 11:16:06 -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> I am using rawhide (fedora core development).  They just updated to xorg 7
> final and I was hoping that my mouse problem would be fixed, but it wasn't.
> I have a 5 button + scrollwheel mouse (MS intellimouse explorer).  I want
> to use the side buttons.  In xorg 6.8 it worked great, but in 7 it does not
> work.  Here is the mouse part of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier "Mouse0"
>       Driver "mouse"
>       Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>       Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>       Option "Buttons" "7"
>       Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>       Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
> EndSection
>
> I also have this file called mouse.sh in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
> #!/bin/sh
> # /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/mouse
> # Required for the configuration of a 5-button mouse
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

No longer required, actually harmfull now.

man mouse (default was wrong, have commited that now):

       Option "ButtonMapping" "N1 N2 [...]"
              Specifies how physical mouse buttons are mapped to logical  but‐
              tons.   Physcial button 1 is mapped to logical button N1, physi‐
              cal button 2 to N2, and so forth.  This enables the use of phys‐
              ical    buttons    that    are    obscured    by   ZAxisMapping.
              Default: "1 2 3 8 9 10 ...".

So if you want to get buttons events 6 and 7 with physical buttons 4 and 5
you want
	Option "Buttons" "5"
	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"

But as mice with two wheels are getting more available now, applications
might be configured to use buttons 6 and 7 for horizontal scrolling
soon. You might want to use the default configuration and configure
applications to use buttons 8 and 9 for button actions.

Though it is largely undecided right now whether the default like it is
now is a good idea, or whether other buttons should be reserved for the
secondary wheel.

> If I run mouse.sh I get this:
> xmodmap:  commandline:1:  bad number of buttons, must have 11 instead of 7
> xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

This is because due to default ButtonMapping you get 4 more buttons than
configured. But you don't want to use xmodmap any more.

> I was run xorg7 rc something and there was a discussion about the number of
> buttons being hard coded or something like that the point is this is/was a
> known problem.  I can't find the thread now that I need it.

No. Different thing.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __