Conf file disappearing?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Dec 29 17:52:11 PST 2006

In message <20061229184012.GM25119 at cgi.jachomes.com> you wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 06:39:42PM +0000, Leo wrote:
> > > The conf file will be gone?
> >
> > I remember I read somewhere it is supposed to happen in 7.3. My
> > default xorg.conf for 7.0 and 7.1 have 121 and 40 lines, respectively.
> >
> > > I wasn't aware of that.  Given that, I have no clue where they might
> > >want to move it to; I've just barely caught up with Xorg, myself.
>
> Honestly, given the number of times I've had to override things in X
> configs over the years, I am Not Pleased to hear that the ability might
> go away; I hope that's not really what's in plan.

The plan is that the *requirement* for an X server config
file disappear for most users.  The X server developers want
the server to be able come up happily without a xorg.conf
file in as many environments as can be achieved, and thus to
be able to ship without an xorg.conf by default.  It is
understood that for unusual setups things may still need to
be manually configured either in the config file or
(preferably) dynamically; the less of that that needs to
happen, the happier all involved will be, I think.  I know
I'll be happier. :-)

    Bart Massey
    bart at cs.pdx.edu