i810: can't set 1680x1050 mode properly on 965G

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Dec 24 14:58:36 PST 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:18:17 -0500 Elvis Pranskevichus <el at prans.net> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set my VX2025wm native resolution on 965G (Gigabyte 965G-DS3).
> The master (not modesetting) branch of xf86-video-intel gives me 'Out of
> range' monitor message on that resolution (I was able to get it working on
> 1280x1024).
>
> The latest modesetting branch does set the mode, but the screen is trimmed on
> the sides and the output is cropped.
>
> Here's the
> screenshot: http://el.prans.net/xorg/i815badmodeset.jpg
> log: http://el.prans.net/xorg/Xorg.0.log.modeset.txt
> xorg.conf: http://el.prans.net/xorg/xorg.conf.modeset.txt
>
> Any help on getting the subject working would be greatly appreciated.

i'm amazed you got that far! you don't have a Monitor section at all. i.e.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       28-51
        VertRefresh     43-60
EndSection

then...

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24

i may be behind the times and monitor sections are now optional... but i have
never lacked one and i have not had problems either.