i810/modesetting and Xinerama?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 20 14:35:55 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:37 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:55:01AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 19:02 +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> >
> > > How can I do that? And how can I configure 16 bpp?
> >
> > Here's what I've got; the 'Virtual' keyword sets the frame buffer size.
> > As the driver currently ignores the Modes keyword, I don't bother with
> > that one...
>

>   Oh, it really ignores other modes?

The currently released Intel driver takes the modes that you specify
together with the modes that it can program (only those supported by the
BIOS) and leaves you with the intersection of the two sets.

The current 'modesetting' branch simply ignores the modes in the config
file entirely. I'll be fixing that so that the mode list in the config
file is added to your detected modes and placed first in the list (so
you can specify the default mode and yet still be able to RandR to other
modes).

> I spent days putting Modes lines in
> xorg.conf to get my laptop (i945) working with external projector
> limited to 1024x768 with no success. I can only get one resolution -
> 1440x900. xrandr also shows only this resolution.

The released driver can only deal with modes known to the BIOS.

keith.packard at intel.com