i810/modesetting and Xinerama?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Dec 18 11:14:49 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 19:42 +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> is there any plan on when to support Xinerama (or an alternative means
> of using dualscreen) in combination with the i810 modesetting driver?
> I'd be very happy to test, since newer (post 7.0) X drivers broke my
> apparently fragile dualscreen "1920 x 1200 @ exactly 60 Hz" setup )-:

The modesetting branch, when compiled and run against the
randr-1.2-for-server-1.2 branch offers a superset of Xinerama
functionality for merge-fb mode. EDID data is collected for each monitor
and correct modes set on all of them. When run against older servers, it
is lacking the startup configuration necessary to enable separate
positioning for each monitor within the screen viewport. I'm working on
that...

Note that the 945 and earlier chipsets cannot deal with a frame buffer
stride of larger than 8KB, so if you want to run 3840x1200, you'll have
to run at 16bpp. Yes, this is annoying.

keith.packard at intel.com