X.Org 7.3 final: Patch to ignore requests for loading obsolete drm module?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Wed Dec 13 15:04:46 PST 2006

Hi

ATI/AMD just announced a new fglrx driver (8.32.5) claiming X.Org 7.2
support. It has been developed and tested with openSUSE 10.2, which
still ships X.Org 7.2 RC2. Unfortunately it turned out to be *not*
compatible with RC3 since the "drm" module has been merged into the
"dri" module between RC2 and RC3 and the driver relies on loading the
"drm" module, which now no longer exists. :-( The result is a driver
with DRI disabled.

ATI/AMD already has a fix for the next driver release (8.33). They use
a monthly release schedule. Question is if X.Org 7.3 final should
address this issue. There might be other drivers affected as well.

I've attached a proposal for a patch. Let me know what you
think. Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany