S3 Savage and dri problems

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:49:18 PST 2006

On 12/11/06, rumpl <cs_rumplstiltzkin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm on debian unstable, and I have a 2.6.28 kernel. I have an IBM T23 laptop
> Since september I don't have DRI on my machine, but I had it before.
> I have tried many things, getting the new drivers, recompiling the mesa
> library, recompiling the kernel without the drm and without the savage
> driver, and installed fresh new modules from the DRI site. Still nothing...
> In my Xorg.0.log, the only error I get is the AIGLX errors sayin my card
> isn't capable of some things.

I don't know Savage at all, but here's a suggestion that might tell
you more information.

> glxinfo:
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No

Try glxinfo again, but set LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose and you should get a
lot more info. Xorg.log seemed to say the DRI was enabled. Although...

> (II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> (II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
>         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
> (II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0

For me, this says:

(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0

Do you have proper permissions for the device nodes in /dev/dri?
Possibly Savage doesn't provide direct rendering because GLcore is the
software fallback.

Wait, sorry, now I think I found it:

(EE) SAVAGE(0): [agp] AGP not available
(WW) SAVAGE(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize -- falling back to PCI mode.
(WW) SAVAGE(0): [agp] Make sure you have the agpgart kernel module loaded.

The Savage S3 is an AGP card, right? See this page:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

--
Dan