Intel 945GM + intel drivers: Resolution and vga-out / projector.

Erling Ringen Elvsrud systemansvarlig at vagaungdomsskule.no
Tue Dec 12 01:11:55 PST 2006

Hello,

I have a problem with Dell Latitude D520 laptops (Intel 94GM Graphics).
I use the intel driver with Ubuntu 6.10 and the package
xserver-xorg-video-intel. I switched from the i810 driver as it
was buggy (flickering and various artifacts) with Google Earth, and the
Intel driver worked much better.

but...

When I try to connect the laptop to a projector (hp vp6325) via vga-out
i get a weird resolution: 1360 x 768 (the projector displays the res.
when the laptop is connected and the video source found). I use 1024x768
on the LCD of the laptop. xdpyinfo reports 1024x768, but I guess that is
just the LCD even if it is not active (I press Fn + F8 to toggle video
output, only vga-out is active, the LCD is off).

Where can I configure the resolution used for vga-out?

With the i810 driver the projector works with the same resolution as the
LCD (1024x768).

I hope to fix this issue soon so I can deploy an update of Ubuntu Linux
to about 100 laptops (used in primary schools).

Thanks,

Erling