mesa and xserver question

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Tue Dec 5 15:06:21 PST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 23:21, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 18:10, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > Some time ago there was a thread ,,fixing the recurring Mesa build
> > problem'' trying to fix small problem with building xserver with
> > different mesa versions.
> >
> > I have a basic question - why Mesa sources are needed to build xserver?
> > xserver build stuff includes some mesa source files and later links them
> > into non-public libtool library and uses it - why all these required
> > files are not in separate public mesa library which later would be linked
> > with xserver?
>
> Because it's not a stable ABI that we feel like publishing,

I'm thinking in terms of fixing the problem from thread mentioned above.
Static library like libmesa-xserver.a would make problem go away and there
would be no ABI problem, right?

Providing versioned libmesa-xserver.pc would also allow to detect and limit to
correct mesa versions only from xserver configure script.

Also for distro packagers that would avoid the problem of having Mesa sources
needed for xserver build, keeping them in sync between xserver and mesa
package itself etc.

Unless that private libtool library currently built from mesa sources is using
some xserver internal headers which would make it different for each
different xserver version.

> and in
> principle we should be able to build the software indirect renderer from
> Mesa directly.

No idea what exactly you are talking about here, don't know the xserver
details anyway :)

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team