server, client and general GLX extensions and version numbers

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Dec 4 07:51:23 PST 2006

Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> Running glxinfo, there are 3 sections for GLX extensions. The "server",
> "client" and another one (general?). Each of them has its own version
> number and and each of them has different number and mixture of
> extensions. Now, what I'd like to know is what do each of those sections
> represent and which part of Xorg, Mesa or whatever else provides them.

Most GLX extensions require both client and server-side support, but
some are client-side only (like GLX_ARB_get_proc_address) and some are
server-side only (can't think of any off-hand).

> I have 1.2 for the server, 1.4 for the client and 1.2 for the third one
>
> the reason I'm asking this is because I have a problem with the
> GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap. It appears in the "server" and "client"
> section, but not in the general one, causing compiz to fail.

Not sure about the GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap stuff.  Ian was the last
person to work on that.

> the other reason I'm interested to know are the two GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
> and GLX_SGIX_pbuffer extensions. In my case these appear in the "client"
> section (which is 1.4 version), but the server and the third advertise
> only the GLX_SGIX_fbconfig.
>

> anyone that could shed some light here?

We still don't have server-side pbuffer support.

-Brian