Suppressing automatic modes

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at online.no
Thu Aug 31 02:58:59 PDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Perry Hutchison <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
> > > Is there a way, short of rebuilding and/or hacking source, to turn
> > > off some (or all) of the automatically-calculated resolutions, and
> > > have the server use *only* those modelines explicitly provided
> > > in xorg.conf?  It looks as if an explicit modeline overrides any
> > > automatic modes of the same name (resolution), but I have not yet
> > > found a way to get rid of a resolution which I don't want to use
> > > at all.
> > >
> > [snip highest mode is default mode]
> >
> > Hi Perry,
> > Sounds like you've been trying to solve the wrong problem - you
> > probably don't need any modelines. What you need is a "Modes"
> > stanza in your Screen section stating the order in which you
> > would like resolutions to be considered, as below:
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> >        Identifier "Screen0"
> >        Device     "Card0"
> >        Monitor    "Monitor0"
> >        DefaultDepth     24
> >        SubSection "Display"
> >                Depth     24
> >                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600"
> >        EndSubSection
> > EndSection
> >
> > Where the modes are read in order of precedence from left to
> > right, and in the example above, "1024x768" would be the default
> > resolution for the default depth of 24bpp.
>
> Adding a Modes line made no difference.  The resulting behavior
> is the same as before, and the logfile is identical except for
> the date stamp.

[snip man]

That's because your Xorg defaults to 16bpp mode since you haven't
provided the DefaultDepth parameter, but you've only provided a Modes
line for 24bpp mode

[snip eliminating modes]

I agree however that there are other reasons why one would want to
disable an autodetected mode that doesn't work, and I don't know if
that's possible. Xorg devs, how does one go about turning off a mode?

Cheers,
  -Kacper