[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.6.2

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Aug 28 00:56:14 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 15:09 +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:53 +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any word on exa support for r300 cards? I see there are quite a
> >> few changes for the mach64, but I haven't had one of those is years!
> >>

> > There is EXA support, just no Composite hook (for alpha blending) yet.
> > IME it's still quite usable with AccelDFS and exa-damagetrack.
> >

> Firstly, please don't take this as a complaint - just a report back.
>
> I've just managed to install the exa-damagetrack branch and test it out.
> I enabled the AccelDFS option ( though I read that this is enabled by
> default on PCI Express cards, which I have ).

Correct. You can double-check with

grep Download /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> I'm still not really getting any better performance than with XAA. For
> example, if I set a firefox window partly transparent, it takes about 7
> seconds between rolling the mousewheel and the 1st scroll operation to
> complete and render.

Have you tried with Option "MigrationHeuristic" "always" as well?

That said, this use case (translucent windows of significant size) is
very tough without hardware accelerated alpha blending. IME EXA is more
usable than XAA with drop shadows though. YMMV.