i810 driver: Xv on mergefd

Sun Aug 27 17:47:10 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 21:11 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 13:23 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:

> > > I do not have the SPECs, but it is likely that the chip only has one
> > > hardware overlay. The only thing that is doable in that case is an option
> > > to force it on the first or second pipe.
> >
> > this would not be a problem, because the video has to be full screen on
> > screen 1 or full screen on screen 2, not on both at the same time, and
> > not half on one and half on the other screen.
> >
> > This worked fine on a  M9 radeon, that also has only one overlay, but it
> > doesn't seem to work on the i810. I have one LCD panel connected to the
> > LVDS output, and one to a VGA output, it works on the LVDS output, but
> > on the VGA output it stays blue.
> >
> > The VGA/CRT is Pipe A en the LVDS/LFP is Pipe B.
>
> I've tested mergedfb with Xv on a 945G / 945GM and it works fine, and I
> wouldn't expect problems on the 8xx series.
>
> As the Intel chips only have a single overlay the driver will only flip
> the pipe when the video window has completely moved onto the new head.
>
> If that isn't occurring, then log it as a bug. If that works, but you
> are attempting something else - can you describe the situation in more
> detail ?

Seems to work after all, can it be that when the overlay is larger than
the screen it also turns "blue" ? Like when the screen height is 768 and
if the overlay height is 769 ?

My real problem is that i need mergedfb and modesetting, because i
managed to hack the modesetting branch to work with my bad-BIOS (only
has panel size 1024x768, and my panel is 1280x800). But that branch only
does clone mode :-/ I asked before but is there any way to help with
bringing modesetting to the master branch, i saw you (Alan) started
another git repo to do this.

- Erwin