extent of feature support in G965 (SDVO etc)

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 00:39:56 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 23:47 -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Since the release of the free driver for Intel G965, this is about the
> only graphics chip I have any interest in purchasing.  But how extensive
> is the feature support in i810-1.6.5?  Do ADD2 DVI cards work?  What
> about two DVI displays on a single ADD2 card?  1920x1200 digital
> displays?  Is 3D accelerated on dual displays?  Does rotation work?
>
> Are there other limits to be aware of?

The current driver relies on the BIOS to do the modesetting. So if the
BIOS knows how to drive the ADD2 card, then all is well. But use caution
here. It may drive the first digital port, but not the second on some
ADD2 cards. The new modesetting branch in the git repo is the driving
force to remove the BIOS from this equation though.

As for 3D accelerated on dual heads, yes, that's supported via MergedFB.

But rotation is not currently supported for G965 I'm afraid. Only the
945GM and older.

Alan.