Problems compiling X11R7.1

Markku Tavasti tavasti at tavastisolutions.com
Wed Aug 23 21:16:34 PDT 2006

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at sun.com> writes:

> This is noted in the X11R7.1 README, though still very confusing to
> many users:
>
>    X11R7.1 is the second release in the X11R7 series. Tarballs for
>    packages that have had updates since the 7.0 release are included
>    in this release. To build this release, you will first need to
>    get the packages from X11R7.0 and then add the new packages from
>    X11R7.1 to them.
>
> ( http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.1/doc/README1.html#1 )

I don't find that text confusing, but place where it appears. At least
I would expect finding information how to get source under topic 'How
to get the release', not under 'What is X11R7.1?'.  Every nerd thinks
(s)he knows what X11r7.1 is and only wants to know where to get it and
how to compile it.

Also this is quite misleading: 'Each of these modules contain one or
more packages that can be configured, built and installed separately.'
At least some mentition on dependencies should be there. I spent hours
to trying track dependencies of xserver, and finally took
everything. Or tried to get :-(

Correct form of that should be something like 'In theory each of these
modules contain one or more packages that can be configured, built and
installed separately. In practice, you will break your head tracking
dependencies, and finally end up to getting everything.' :-)

Is this some practical joke, and is this done only for telling people
'you must read *whole* README'? Even that might not help all
non-english readers.

--
M. Tavasti /  tavasti at tavastisolutions.com  /   +358-40-5078254